Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Return To The World Of Warhammer 40,000




Thanks to my friends' monthly D&D games, I'd gotten a bit back into tabletop gaming, which I'd left a couple of years ago. I think it was a serendipitous confluence of events that have me currently constructing a Chaos Daemons army for an upcoming Warhammer 40K tournament.

Here's the thing...I've definitely missed the hobby aspect of the game. I find it very relaxing to construct and paint a group of miniatures. Of course, part of the problem has always been the motivation to not just paint a miniature or two, but actually push through and paint an entire army. That's why this particular tournament hooked me in...it's a casual gaming event specifically designed to result in all the participants having a full, painted 2000 point army at the end of an eight-month period. It's also taking place at Aero Hobbies, which geographically is fairly convenient for me.

So then, the next question became...which army to collect? The new Space Wolves were getting released this month, so that might be ideal...but there were already a few people that were planning on starting those. Orks would be fun, especially with all the great new minis out for them,but they are so expensive to collect, and such a pain to paint a whole army as they are a "horde" army so you need a lot of them.

I finally settled on Chaos Daemons. There's a wonderful range to the miniatures, especially if you take units from more than just one of the Chaos powers There are four different Chaos "gods," for the uninitiated...Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh. To vastly simplify things, Khorne=blood/violence, Tzeentch=magic/change, Nurgle=disease/rot, and Slaanesh=lust/excess. I'm planning on using units from all four, for variety in both gameplay and painting.

While we can't start any painting until the official start of the tournament, we can start assembling miniatures. So here's my first batch...10 Khorne Bloodletters, ready to do some damage with their hellblades. By the way, these are on temporary bases just for painting. Scenic bases will be added later.

Next up...Plaguebearers!

No comments:

Post a Comment